A great way to keep your apartment or house warm is to make these great do it yourself draft stoppers. They are very easy to make and help to stop any cold air from coming in under your doors or windows. I had some leftover fabric stored from other projects that I decided to use for this project, you can however buy some fabric at Joann’s or your local fabric store. To make your very own get the supplies below and follow these instructions:
Supplies that you will need:
- Fabric of your choice
- 100% Polyester Fiber Fill or rice if you prefer (I used 1 bag 1/2 of fill for 5 doors and 3 window stoppers)
- sewing machine or hand needle
- sewing thread
- head pins
- stick to push the fiber fill
- tape measure
- pencil and notepad
Instructions to make your very own Draft Stoppers
- Measure the length of the base of your door slightly a little bit bigger for seam allowance or window and the height needed to cover the draft. Take the measurement of the height and add 7 inches to that number (that includes seam), this will make sure that you have the correct height when cutting the fabric to be sewn. If you don’t do this it will be too small when you sew it together and stuff it with the polyester fiber fill. (example: 1 inch height space +7 inches=8 inches height, when you fold this in half it should cover the space of the door or window height).
- Next take your fabric and make sure to iron it out before starting sewing process. Take your head pins and pin your fabric so that its pinned in place.
- Sew your fabric along the length first inside out and then sew one of the ends closed.
- Take your fabric and turn it inside out through the open side, now your ready to start stuffing it with the fiber fill or rice, use the stick to push the fiber fill if that’s what you’re using.
- Sew an invisible stitch along the open ending, if you don’t know how to do this make sure to check out the following YouTube video.
- Now take your very own draft stopper and put an end to that cold draft, your officially done or repeat if you need more than one.